Monday, June 11, 2012

Inspire Me Monday: A Prideful Neon Rainbow Gradient feat. China Glaze Neons

It's that time of year. Time to get down with the rainbow! This week's mani is inspired by gay pride celebrations and bright, bold colors à la the pride rainbow. And since I'm obsessed with both neons and gradients right now, I decided to do a twist on the traditional rainbow using all China Glaze neons. About half of these are from the current Neons collection, and the other half are from their core neons. And since I did this mani over the weekend, I had time to take it a step further, which will be my next post!

Since neons must be viewed in sunlight to get their nuclear effect, I photographed outdoors instead of in my usual lightbox. I tried to use one cream finish and one shimmery finish on each nail, except the pinky. The purple's shimmer (Beach Cruise-r) isn't as noticeable as the others, which I don't mind at all.

Neon Gradient Skittle using China Glaze Kiwi Cool-ada, Turned Up Turquoise, Splish Splash, Beach Cruise-r, Love's a Beach, Orange Knockout, Sun Worshipper, Sun-Kissed
Neon Gradient Skittle using China Glaze Kiwi Cool-ada, Turned Up Turquoise, Splish Splash, Beach Cruise-r, Love's a Beach, Orange Knockout, Sun Worshipper, Sun-Kissed
These were all done using the sponge gradient technique, which was a little challenging due to the sheerness of most of the polishes. That and neons tend to be kind of... Sticky? They seem to stay tacky longer for some reason.

But in the end, all the effort was worth it. I'm pleased with the results, though I don't think I'll be undertaking another such involved gradient project any time soon!
China Glaze Kiwi Cool-ada, Turned Up Turquoise, Splish Splash, Beach Cruise-r, Love's a Beach, Orange Knockout, Sun Worshipper, Sun-Kissed
L-R Top: Kiwi Cool-ada, Turned Up Turquoise, Splish Splash, Beach Cruise-r
Bottom: Love's a Beach, Orange Knockout, Sun Worshipper, Sun-Kissed
Supplies:
  • Index: Love's a Beach and Orange Knockout (from the Halloween mini set)
  • Middle: Sun Worshipper and Sun-Kissed
  • Ring: Kiwi Cool-ada and Turned Up Turquoise
  • Pinky: Splish Splash and Beach Cruise-r
  • Thumb: Flip Flop Fantasy and Love's a Beach
  • Topped with CG Strong Adhesion base coat and a thick coat of Seche Vite to smooth
The sponge technique can leave a bit of a rough texture on the nail, so it's vital to use a thick topcoat, or like I did, both a clear base coat and a top coat. It really helps make the gradient look flawless, or closer to it.

I hate to pick favorites, but I think the ring finger combo is my favorite. How awesome does Turned Up Turquoise look on camera? Like, woah. Which combo do you like?

Happy pride month everyone! Any of you going to your local pride parades?

Be sure to check out the other Inspire Me Mondays!



13 comments:

  1. I love the gradient! I am dying to get hold of flip flop fantasy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I've read that Sun-Kissed is even brighter than China Glaze Celtic Sun (which sears my eyeballs out on its own) so I'm imagining you with sunglasses on for those pics haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an absolutely stunning mani! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh awesome colors! I love your inspiration! :) I just won a giveaway today and will be receiving 6 of the CG neons. cant wait to do something like this. You may be my inspiration one monday when I get these colors in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. super pretty! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is sooo gorgeous! i love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just made me extremly happy!! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your ring finger combo, those two look great together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful mani! Happy Pride!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this gradient, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is amazing! I've never seen such gorgeous gradient!
    I especially love the green-teal on <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave questions, video/post requests and whatever is on your mind! Personalized recommendations will not be given in comments.