Saturday, June 30, 2012

Summer Neon Abstract Brush Strokes

Tutorial for this manicure is up!

I haven't had the energy to do a lot of nail art over the past week, but I really wanted to participate in one of the Summer challenges happening in the Crumpet facebook group, so I attempted to do a water marble today. As you can see, this post does not feature a water marble. I failed so, so badly. Sigh.

But!!! This manicure is one that I've been wanting to do for a while, and since today is the last day of June, and June has been super awesome happy neon fun time month, I thought I should make up for my lack of marbling prowess with something that also combines lots of colors, but using a technique I can actually do. This also relates to my last manicure, which features a painting-like quality, but instead of blending the colors together, in this mani I accentuated the brush strokes to make the colors really stand out against each other. Details after the photos! These are all indirect natural light.
Abstract Brush Stroke Nail Art - China Glaze Love's A Beach China Glaze Sun-Kissed China Glaze Sun Worshiper China Glaze I'm With The Lifeguard China Glaze Kiwi Cool-Ada China Glaze Splish Splash China Glaze Turned Up Turquoise China Glaze Flip Flop Fantasy China Glaze Orange Knockout  China Glaze Surfin' For Boys Funky Fingers Pop Artist Sinful Colors Dream On

Abstract Brush Stroke Nail Art - China Glaze Love's A Beach China Glaze Sun-Kissed China Glaze Sun Worshiper China Glaze I'm With The Lifeguard China Glaze Kiwi Cool-Ada China Glaze Splish Splash China Glaze Turned Up Turquoise China Glaze Flip Flop Fantasy China Glaze Orange Knockout  China Glaze Surfin' For Boys Funky Fingers Pop Artist Sinful Colors Dream On

Abstract Brush Stroke Nail Art - China Glaze Love's A Beach China Glaze Sun-Kissed China Glaze Sun Worshiper China Glaze I'm With The Lifeguard China Glaze Kiwi Cool-Ada China Glaze Splish Splash China Glaze Turned Up Turquoise China Glaze Flip Flop Fantasy China Glaze Orange Knockout  China Glaze Surfin' For Boys Funky Fingers Pop Artist Sinful Colors Dream On
Technique wise, it's exactly what it looks like. I simply took the brushes from the bottles and applied the colors semi-randomly, keeping an eye on balance and depth. I used the more sheer and shimmery neons in fainter strokes on top of the other colors to catch the light and accentuate the depth of the colors underneath. It took a little while, but as you might have noticed, I did this on my right hand (right handed), so it's not actually difficult.

I did record a video tutorial for this manicure.

Supplies... I used TWELVE different neons. Am I crazy?? Maybe a little bit. Neon crazy. Yep.

  • China Glaze Love's A Beach
  • China Glaze Sun-Kissed
  • China Glaze Sun Worshiper
  • China Glaze I'm With The Lifeguard
  • China Glaze Kiwi Cool-Ada
  • China Glaze Splish Splash
  • China Glaze Turned Up Turquoise
  • China Glaze Flip Flop Fantasy
  • China Glaze Orange Knockout 
  • China Glaze Surfin' For Boys
  • Funky Fingers Pop Artist
  • Sinful Colors Dream On
  • Venique Wingtip White as underwear
  • Seche Vite

China Glaze Love's A Beach China Glaze Sun-Kissed China Glaze Sun Worshiper China Glaze I'm With The Lifeguard China Glaze Kiwi Cool-Ada China Glaze Splish Splash China Glaze Turned Up Turquoise China Glaze Flip Flop Fantasy China Glaze Orange Knockout  China Glaze Surfin' For Boys Funky Fingers Pop Artist Sinful Colors Dream On
I like China Glaze neons a little bit. They're alright I guess. (!^@%$#$^#4)

24 comments:

  1. Love this. Simple but it looks complex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cant keep my eyes of your nails,,, thats too much of polish but worth it for the look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so unbelievably awesome! Never seen anything like it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! tutorial? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. cool nails! looks like a beautiful abstract painting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cool and I love the rainbow of neons at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This 100% reminds me of the candle jars I made as a kid. Where you take a glass and modpodge colored paper all over it. Then when lit, makes all of the paper creates this collage of bright neon patchworked colors. You're so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOLY SHHHHH I am definitely trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is so beautiful and amazing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are way excellent! I'm gonna have to try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy cow this is awesome!! I'm totally going to try it! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this! And I don't think you're crazy using that many colors ;) this is why I love nailpolish....I loved coordinating 20+ fabrics for quilts, so finding polishes that work together is fun for me!

    BEAUTIFUL job, glad I found you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. very perfect, I follow you. You follow me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This look like a piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw this picture on Instagram's popular page sometime in the summer and fell in love with it INSTANTLY. I have always loved polish but wasn't very good at painting my own nails and this mani turned my love for polish into an addiction. And now I'm pretty good at painting my nails. LOL I'm so happy I found the person who inspired me tremendously!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave questions, video/post requests and whatever is on your mind! Personalized recommendations will not be given in comments.