Friday, August 3, 2012

Summer Shatter Mosaic

I've done a fair amount of experimenting to find more interesting ways to use shatter/crackle polishes, and this mosaic method is so far my favorite. I made a shatter mosaic manicure back in April, and have since acquired a few very bright colors that just beg for a summer edition.

Shatter/Crackle Mosaic manicure with OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls, OPI Silver Shatter, OPI Turquoise Shatter, Pure Ice Crackle Shattered, Pure Ice Crackle Crushed, Funky Fingers Neon Purple Crackle, Funky Fingers Neon Red-Orange Crackle, Funky Fingers Neon Pink Crackle
Shatter/Crackle Mosaic manicure with OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls, OPI Silver Shatter, OPI Turquoise Shatter, Pure Ice Crackle Shattered, Pure Ice Crackle Crushed, Funky Fingers Neon Purple Crackle, Funky Fingers Neon Red-Orange Crackle, Funky Fingers Neon Pink Crackle
Shatter/Crackle Mosaic manicure with OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls, OPI Silver Shatter, OPI Turquoise Shatter, Pure Ice Crackle Shattered, Pure Ice Crackle Crushed, Funky Fingers Neon Purple Crackle, Funky Fingers Neon Red-Orange Crackle, Funky Fingers Neon Pink Crackle

This technique is not at all difficult--in fact, it is exactly what it looks like. You just choose your base color, wait for it to dry, and paint your shatter/crackle polishes on in small sections, keeping the overal distribution of colors in mind. It's just that easy, and you're left with a really interesting pattern!

Shatter/Crackle Mosaic manicure with OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls, OPI Silver Shatter, OPI Turquoise Shatter, Pure Ice Crackle Shattered, Pure Ice Crackle Crushed, Funky Fingers Neon Purple Crackle, Funky Fingers Neon Red-Orange Crackle, Funky Fingers Neon Pink Crackle

Supplies:

  • OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls (base color)
  • OPI Silver Shatter
  • OPI Turquoise Shatter 
  • Pure Ice Crackle Shattered (green)
  • Pure Ice Crackle Crushed (shimmery orange)
  • Funky Fingers Neon Purple Crackle
  • Funky Fingers Neon Red-Orange Crackle
  • Funky Fingers Neon Pink Crackle
  • Two coats of Seche Vite to smooth it out.
Shatter/Crackle Mosaic manicure with OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls, OPI Silver Shatter, OPI Turquoise Shatter, Pure Ice Crackle Shattered, Pure Ice Crackle Crushed, Funky Fingers Neon Purple Crackle, Funky Fingers Neon Red-Orange Crackle, Funky Fingers Neon Pink Crackle
Funky Fingers Neon Red-Orange Crackle, Funky Fingers Neon Pink Crackle, Funky Fingers Neon Purple Crackle, Pure Ice Crackle Crushed, Pure Ice Crackle Shattered, OPI Turquoise Shatter, OPI Silver Shatter, OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls
I hope you'll give this technique a try, and let me know if you do!

22 comments:

  1. Veronica for this win--this looks fantastic!! Great colour combination for a great idea. Up close, I love the detail, and from a little distance it looks so intricate. Finally, something fun to do with those crackle/shatter polishes I bought and then never used! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate you sometimes. Last time you did this, I fell in love with it. Pinned it and wanted to try it but had zero crackles because I really dislike them. I bought some, and......they didn't crackle in such small amounts. So, I borrowed others and they didn't show up because they were too faint. I finally used one color and did spots. I'll post this weekend and link back to you. How do you make this look so simple???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, don't hate me. (: I'm not sure what I'm doing differently... Maybe make sure your brush is contacting the nail when you apply it, instead of just lightly painting it on? Seems to help the crackle happen when the brush makes more contact. Also don't want it to be too thin or thick. I'd love to see your version!

      Delete
  3. wow i love this! really creative way to use crackles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I love it! I wish I had more than one black crackle polish now! I think I will have to go to Five Below just to pick up some crackles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Five Below is a great place to get crackles especially. They've got a bunch of neons out at the moment!

      Delete
  5. This looks awesome! I wish I had so many crackle polishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so fantastic, I can't even handle this. Makes me sad I only have two crackles but it does give me ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG what a cracking idea !! lol,love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder what this would look like done in one polish (since it would crackle in such unusual ways). I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate crackle.. but I love these O_O They're stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did this the other day. I loved the way it came out, but yours is a thousand times better than mine. I'll keep trying. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is so innovative! I've got a bunch of crackles which I've gotten a bit tired on (using them as layering) but this gives new opportunities :) So F-U-N! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you like Funky Fingers? is it a durable nail polish for being from five below? i can't decide whether to purchase some or not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard for me to speak about their longevity in a regular manicure since I mostly just use them for nail art. But I have no complaints there! You always have to keep in mind that price affects quality and not expect super cheap polishes to perform as well as higher end ones, but if you have a good base and topcoat, there's no reason why they can't give you decent wear.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave questions, video/post requests and whatever is on your mind! Personalized recommendations will not be given in comments.